Tune into Technology Linky: Integrating Technology into Reading

I'm so excited to link up with iTeach 1:1 and Learning to the Core for their new Tune into Technology!! I LOVE integrating technology throughout the day! The kids love it! Our students now are growing up with this technology so it's not going anywhere so might as well embrace it and go with it!!! :) 

I absolutely love the ideas that iTeach 1:1 left on her post! When I do reading, I have 3 rotations: 1 with me, 1 with my co-teacher for reading, and 1 independent technology rotation. During the independent technology rotation, I have 2-4 kids on the laptops working on Successmaker which is through Pearson. I have 2 other kids on the SmartBoard working on spelling activities, and I have 2 on iPads with which they get to choose the reading app they want to play.  This way that small group of 6-9 are still working in even smaller groups which minimizes interruptions helps the kids stay focused. If you look at the picture below, this is how I organize my groups for the rotations. The cards are for their activity during their independent time. The big arrow designates the kids who are the "teachers" of the group so if anyone has a question or needs help, those are the two that can help. This helps tremendously so that they aren't interrupting our reading group instruction. We also talk about what to do if they still can't get to work. They would separate and join in with one of the other groups or read a book and do a reading response sheet.

Some of the apps that they love are...
With the above app, you can assign kids to this level or the next level that is the next app Level 2. It will keep track of the passages they read along with the questions they answered showing their results with how many attempts.
My kids love this app!! It has several games but one of my favorites is the tetris style game. High frequency words fall from the top, and a voice speaks the word. Then they have to tap them before the speaker says another word. 
This app is great!!! It's for several grade levels and skills like prefixes, synonyms, antonyms, suffixes.and so on! Two students play against each other and have to make matches, but there could be a storm that blows in that stops them for a second. So fun!!

These apps are their top pick apps!! 

One program and app that I found through blogs and online was nearpod. This website and app is AMAZING!!! I will do a more detailed post soon with step by step notes on how to use it. I used this during my reading rotation, and my kids were astonished! The looks on their faces were priceless!!

You start with your own PDF that you make which you can export PowerPoint, Keynote, Word, or Pages documents as PDFs. Once you're done, you go to www.nearpod.com and drag the document into the website. You can add polls, quizzes, videos, etc.!! Then you are in charge of the slideshow. You also get realtime results as they're going through it with you!! 

I am on my way to the airport right now for a family reunion in Arizona so I have to cut this short! :) However, I would highly recommend looking into this program and app!! I will do a  more thorough blog post of this program when I get back!!! :)

Thanks for stopping by!!! :)

9 comments:

  1. It looks like your centers are super well-managaged, and I love how you have go-to students for kids who need help. I am anxiously awaiting your blog post about Nearpod! I've never heard of it but I'm super intrigued. I'm so excited to have found your blog and look forward to learning more techie things from you. I hope you'll be back next week for math! Thanks for linking up!:)

    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I went through a lot of trial and error before I figured out which worked the best for my class and me. :) This year, by far, was the best that they have ran!! I added my "teachers" the go-to kids this year, and it worked soooo much better!! I will definitely blog about nearpod when I get back to Indiana! I absolutely love it! I did a webinar with them as well which was great! Hopefully, I'll have my post up the week after the 4th! :) Thanks so much for taking the time to read it, AND set-up and organize this link up!! I absolutely love joining in and sharing as well as learning so many great ideas!! :)

      Nicole

      Delete
  2. Great apps. I really enjoy technology integration, too! I am looking up all those apps and I'm headed over to nearpod. This linky is right up my alley. :D

    Brenda
    You Might Be a First Grader….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I think there are soooo many apps that this type of link up is so helpful because it's impossible to know all of them! :) Nearpod is absolutely amazing!!! I will be doing a more thorough post on it the week after the fourth when I'm back in Indiana!! It's complete integration and even has the capability for students to do it at home! :) I'm with you!! This linky is awesome!! I'm so glad iTeach 1:1 and Learning to the Core started it!!

      Thanks for taking the time to stop by and read!!!
      Nicole

      Delete
  3. I love your app suggestions and have to check out nearpod! It looks amazing!!! I am so glad that I found your blog through the linky party. It is super cute:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Holly!!! Nearpod is awesome!! I'll be doing a more thorough post on using it and showing the step by step on how I got it started! It's truly fantastic!! I'm going to head to your blog, too! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and read!!! :) Can't wait to visit your blog!

      Nicole

      Delete
  4. Hi Nicole,
    Word Bingo sounds like a great app for my little friends-- especially the Tetris style one. :) I definitely have NearPod on my iPad, but also have definitely not explored it, but have heard great things. That being sad, I'm very much looking forward to your post on it as well!
    Thanks so much for linking up with us!
    Aylin
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aylin!! Thank you to you and Kristin for setting up this awesome linky!!! I can't wait for next week! My kids just love that Word Bingo app! I was actually playing it on the airplane to Arizona! hah Nearpod is truly amazing! When I get back to Indiana the week after the 4th, I will definitely be blogging more about nearpod! I did a webinar on it as well, and that was very well organized and beneficial! My kids loved it, and I was so excited watching their faces! :)

      Thanks again, and thanks for taking the time to stop by and read!!
      Nicole

      Delete
  5. Creative blog post , Just to add my thoughts , if someone are wanting to merge PDF files , my family merged a tool here altomerge.com.

    ReplyDelete

I always LOVE to hear from other teachers and bloggers so thank you so much for taking the time to comment!! It's so exciting to meet new people who share in your passion!