"You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives." Clay P. Bedford

So...we've been working on finding the theme of a story for the past week moving into this week, and it's not an easy skill to teach. Some students understand the theme, but when asked to support with evidence, they have a hard time. Some students don't understand the theme at all and have a hard time seeing how things can connect to them. WELL...today, one of my struggling students had a HUGEmoment!!

After reading a book, My Name is Not Isabella (awesome Women's History book), I asked the class what they thought was the them of the story. This student eagerly raises his hand so I call on him first. His response gave me good chills. He said, "You can be whoever you want to be." I stood there stunned...gave him a high five, had him clip up, and we gave him a round of applause!!! It was awesome!!! He was so confident! I hope he can always know the feeling of success even in the presence of difficult challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always LOVE to hear from other teachers and bloggers so thank you so much for taking the time to comment!! It's so exciting to meet new people who share in your passion!